Thursday, January 2, 2014

4 Months, Christmas, a New Family, and a New Year!

Holy cow, everyone! I haven't posted in SO long! I am really, super sorry! I had been feeling really down the past couple weeks and I didn't want to post any bad vibes out there; no need to worry and bum out my fans. 

But, I'm back! I have officially been in the wonderful country of South Korea for four and half months! Wow! I cannot believe that I am half-way through my incredible year abroad. I truly don't want this year to end. 

I had recently been having host family troubles, the details of which I feel unnecessary to post virally, which resulted in a low point in my exchange. All I wanted was to go back home and exist in a familiar place. But! I didn't. Because I can't let myself down like that. 

So, in the midst of a bit of a rut, Christmas happened. It was a really strange experience for me. In the US, Christmas is huge and centered around family. Here, in Korea, Christmas isn't that big of a deal. It's also a holiday for couples. My friend and I went out anyway, despite being single, just because we wanted to experience the holiday in a new culture. It honestly felt like just another day, except there were couples EVERYWHERE. I also Skyped with my Mom and Dad, which was good. Skyping every now and again makes my family seem not so far away. 

A few days after Christmas, I switched host families, which altered my entire outlook on my exchange. My new host family makes me feel like a daughter. My host Dad and I have been building a 1000 piece puzzle the last few days, which has really helped us bond. Plus, he invited me to go swimming with him everyday (at 5:30 in the morning! Yikes!) As a result of changing families and my perspective, my exchange is already a million times better.

And finally, New Years Eve/New Years. All I can say is wow. It was such an incredible experience! On New Years Eve, a couple other exchange students and I went to 서면 (Seomyeon) and gave free hugs. If you're unfamiliar with free hugs, here's a very quick explanation: you make signs that say "free hugs" on them, stand out in public, and hug strangers. 

In Korea, skinship is a REALLY big thing. If you don't know someone very well, it is socially unacceptable and awkward to touch them. Free hugs was really fun, because I got to be an American and break the rules for a while (there was a group of Koreans doing it alongside us).

After I did free hugs, I went home and waited for the new year to start. At 6:00 am, my host family and I climbed up a mountain and watched the first sunrise of the year. That's a really big tradition here. You watch the first sun rise and give thanks and prayers for the new year. It was an incredibly exhausting and breath-taking (literally and figuratively) experience. 

My exchange has finally turned into what I imagined it would: a year with nothe but happiness and new experiences. Much love goes out to you all! Thank you for your never-ending support and words of encouragement.

메리 그리스마스! 새해 복 많이 받으세요! 
Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Love, Madison
My best Korean friends!^^

No comments:

Post a Comment